“To understand their world we must be willing to immerse ourselves in that world. We must embrace the new digital reality. If we can’t relate, if we don’t get it, we won’t be able to make schools relevant to the current and future needs of the digital generation.” – Ian Jukes
Universal Design for Learning – https://goo.gl/clYlLF
Lesson Plan Examples:
TeachersLED – Online Resources
Illuminations – Online resources for teaching Math
SMART Exhcange – free and purchase lessons/Widgets/Manipulatives
SMART Notebook Express – create and view Notebook files
Intro to SMART board video by me and Dr. Langran
SMARTClassrooms YouTube Channel
After watching the video above, choose one of the questions to answer and post your answer to the comments on this post. Please read and reply to at least one of your classmates answers.
1. What are specific ethical issues you see kids struggling when they use digital media?
2. How is our sense of identity changing in the digital world? How can adults learn from kids and guide them at the same time?
3. How does teaching and learning change in a world where information is at your fingertips?
Required Reading/Exploring/Watching: Equity
“Free Computers Don’t close the Rich-Poor Education Gap” by Gregory Ferenstein, TechCrunch, May 20, 2013
“Digital Divide is ‘Major Challenge’ in Teaching Low-Income Students, Survey Finds” by Betsy Isaacson, The Huffington Post, February 28, 2013
Week 6 – Post 1 responses on your blog
- Post at least 1 response about the discussion on equity. Include strategies that you can use in your classroom.
Find a group and become experts on one of the Social Learning Tools bookmarked here. Create a less than 5 minute presentation using tips/tools from June 24th class. Be prepared to share your group presentation (posted on your Blog) at the July 16th class.
July 15th – Week 7 – No Class – Virtual Assignment
Complete the two online learning modules anytime before midnight on, July 27th. It should take you approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete (including a 15-minute break).
- Online Learning
- Digital Citizenship and Online Safety
- Embed/Link your Podcast/Flipped lesson (that includes at least 4 paragraphs of description of process/experience) on a new post on your blog before July 16th. Sign up to present.
- Upload a copy of your CommonSenseEducation (completed during online class) certificate to your blog before midnight on, July 27th.